Lesson Plans World History II SOL 9b Capitalism and Communism
Standard WH II: The student will demonstrate knowledge of the effects of the Industrial Revolution during the nineteenth century
Objectives: Explaining the emergence of capitalism as a dominant economic pattern, and the subsequent development of socialism and communism.
Introduction: A Bell-ringer activity
Notes: Students copy-down and discuss teacher generated notes
Activities: Students complete various in class activities to support learning including video analysis, maps, charts, diagrams, graphic organizers, worksheets, text-book questions, group discussion, KWL Charts etc.
Assessment: Informal, Formal, Exit-Questions, Teacher Questioning. Quizzes, Tests, Projects
• Adam Smith’s The Wealth of Nations
• Role of market competition and entrepreneurial abilities
• Impact on standard of living and the growth of the middle class
• Dissatisfaction with poor working conditions and the unequal distribution of wealth in society
Socialism and communism
• Karl Marx’s The Communist Manifesto (written with Friedrich Engels) and Das Kapital
• Response to the injustices of capitalism
• Importance to communists of redistribution of wealth
Activities That Support Lesson Plans
Communist Manifesto Complete : Analysis of the Communist Manifesto
Das Kapital Reading : Analysis of Das Kapital
Penny Game Capitalism and Communism: Zip file containing complete lesson on comparing capitalism and communism through the use pennies and the game of rock, paper, scissors.